Hey Pitch Wars Peeps! I hope by now you’ve had time to look over the bios and wish lists of all the amazing Pitch Wars mentors (here’s my bio if you need a refresher for the types of YA submissions Lori Goldstein and I are looking for!) and that you’ve started narrowing down your mentor picks! I know it can be really hard to narrow down your choices to a Top 5, so I thought I’d give you some Top 5’s of my own and hopefully help you figure out if we’d be a good match! Because even though all of us mentors are super competitive and want all of your talented manuscripts to be submitted to us and us alone (*grudgingly puts away greedy grabby hands*), we want to do everything we can to help YOU find your perfect mentor match!
My Top 5’s
1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling (my hands-down favorite HP*)
2. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
3. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
4. Vicious by V.E. Schwab
5. The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
Honorable Mentions: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins; City of Bones by Cassandra Clare; Red by Alison Cherry; Cinder by Marissa Meyer; The Diviners by Libba Bray; and basically all the other books out there because it’s impossible to narrow down books to a Top 5. Top 100, maybe, but not Top 5.
1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
2. Gilmore Girls
3. Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman
4. Sailor Moon
Honorable Mentions: I Love Lucy; Game of Thrones; The Knick; Frasier; Scandal; Band of Brothers; The Sopranos; and two shows from my childhood that greatly inspired my imagination, So Weird and Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Movies (this was almost as hard as books, so let’s just pretend all of these movies are in my “Top 5,” k?)
1. Love Actually
3. The Patriot
4. Pretty Woman
5. The Mummy
Honorable Mentions: Star Wars; The Notebook; Jurassic Park; Father of the Bride; Tommy Boy; The Breakfast Club; Christmas Vacation; Pearl Harbor; Center Stage; Catch Me If You can; and…a million others, if I’m being honest. Ugh, this Top 5 thing is so hard!
Musicals (Because I’m kind of a musical nerd, too.)
1. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
3. Singin’ in the Rain
4. White Christmas
Honorable Mentions: Chicago; Sound of Music; On the Town; Footloose; Hello, Dolly!
Top 5 Random Facts:
1. I am an insanely nostalgic 90s kid, so if you ever want to talk about ANYTHING 90s related, I’M YOUR GIRL. ;-)
2. I am absolutely crazy about college football, but I don’t know the first thing about the NFL. That’s what you get for growing up in a college town, I guess.
3. I still play my Super Nintendo from time to time (see #1)
4. Speaking of Super Nintendo, I’m pretty sure I’ve beaten the Aladdin game at least a dozen times, a fact I like to brag about since it’s the only game I’ve ever beaten aside from Tomb Raider: Legend.
5. I’m also a big Tomb Raider fan.
So…maybe this Top 5 thing isn’t as easy as I thought, since I pretty much cheated on all of my categories by not really making up my mind about anything. Oops!
I'd love to get to know the mentees better, so what about you guys? What would you put in your Top 5's for the above categories?
*When I list any Harry Potter book as my #1 favorite book of all time, all of the other Harry Potter books can be included in that number one spot, because, really, my favorite “book” is the entire Harry Potter series. And for anyone wondering, if I had to rank the Harry Potter series in order from favorite to least favorite (with the full understanding that they all still occupy the #1 spot) it would be as follows:
1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
5. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
7. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
I know this is a hotly contested issue, so please feel free to include your own Harry Potter rankings below :-)